There was an error in this gadget

Monday, July 23, 2012

Train Yourself


1 Timothy 4:7-10 Have nothing to do with irreverent, silly myths. Rather train yourself for godliness; for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come. The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance. For to this end we toil and strive, because we have our hope set on the living God, who is the Savior of all people, especially of those who believe. Train...Exercise. Work at. Learn. That is what we are supposed to be working on. Not training ourselves for work, or play, or life. It is godliness that we are supposed to be training for. I'm not always sure how to do that. The best way I know of is to be in the Word of God. The more time that I spend in the word, the more I grow. It dose not happen overnight, but gains are made. For me the idea of training is a good one. I have never been in shape. I spent the majority of my life (so far at least) overweight and unhealthy. God has been good to me and has been putting that part of my life in order. I used to weight close to 270. I'm around 195 now. I used to get out of breath walking up stairs. I can run miles now. What has changed? How has this happened? One word. Training. I had to train myself to eat right, to exercise, to diet, to have self-control. I had to work at. I had to do it day after day after day. So it is with the Christian life. We are called to be godly. We do not get there overnight. Our salvation has taken place. There is no longer no condemnation for us that are in Christ. But there is still a need to be godly. That happens with training. That happens by working at it. That happens by taking little steps. For me some of the steps that I have been trying to take are getting my eyes off of myself. I need to stop looking at me. I need to love God and love others. That means I need to be praying and serving others. I need to be trying to figure out how I can serve. I need to train myself so this is the natural action of who I am. There is more of this I want to look at later. I like the idea of training. It hits home with me. Perhaps I will do a study of this verse later. I'm in the book of James right now. Perhaps after I finish that I will move over to Timothy.

No comments:

Post a Comment