There was an error in this gadget

Monday, July 23, 2012

Inherit the Kingdom


If there is one verse in the Bible that scares me and comforts me, it is this one.

Matthew 7:21-23

21 "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord, ' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 On that day many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?' 23 And then will I declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.'

This is a frightening verse. I often see myself here. Look at what is going on. People are crying out "Lord, Lord." People are crying to a Savior that they thought that they had a relationship with. They thought they were saved.

Not only did they think they were saved, they had proof. They prophesied, cast out demons, and did mighty works. And our Lord has one thing to say to them. He will say 'I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.'

Yikes! Look at how deceived out hearts can grow. I so often look at this verse and wonder if I am on of those people who he will tell to leave. I spend some time there looking at my life and looking at the motives behind things. I see that I really could never argue with the Lord about my salvation. I see that I really have no hope of salvation. And in those moments I take comfort that my salvation rest not with me, but with Christ.

I trust in the saving, finished work of Jesus, on a cross, nailed there by my sins. I know that I am being guarded by the power of God by faith and I know that I will not hear "depart from me" but I will hear "Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world."

Take time to ask yourself where you are. Will you be the one thinking that you have done great things for the Lord and then be told that he has NEVER know you? Take time to ponder this.

No comments:

Post a Comment