There was an error in this gadget

Monday, July 23, 2012

A few reflections on John 17 and the joy that we shall have


Here are just a few tasty morsels from John 17. Basicaly, those who confess Christ as Lord, are going to be part of the following:

We get the very joy of God
We get the very glory of God
We get the best gift that God has to offer: we shall forever praise his Son with him.

I don't know if it gets much better than this ;)

17:13 But now I am coming to you, and these things I speak in the world, that they may have my joy fulfilled in themselves.

We get the very joy that Jesus has. We will have the joy of Christ fulfilled in us. Jesus took joy in obeying the father. Right now we only get a little taste of that. Our best actions are still marred by sin. But the hope is that one day, we will have the same joy that Jesus has in obeying the Father. Imagine that! One day, we will take infinite joy in obeying God. I know my heart often wants to obey, but just as often my heart wants to do it's own things...But one day. One day the very joy of the Savior will be ours! We will be children who fully rejoice in our Father!

17:22 The glory that you have given me I have given to them.

The glory that God gave to Christ will be ours. Try and wrap your head around that for a moment! The very glory that has been bestowed by God on his sinless son will be ours. God's very glory given to me and you. And forever we will reflect back to Christ his glory. Forever we will shine forth with the radiance of the Almighty. We will be children who share in the glory and wonder of our Father!

17:24 Father, I desire that they also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory that you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world. 

And then there is this verse. Christ wants us to be with him so that we might behold his glory. He wants us to be in his presence so that our souls might be forever filled with unending joy by looking at Christ. We shall look to Christ and see him how he really is. We shall look to Christ and see him in his radiance. We will worship the lamb. Our father is giving us the best gift that he can. He is giving to us himself. What better gift could we get? What more could our souls desire than to not only have a wonderful maker that we cry Abba to, but to cry Abba and have our Father answer back and say "Come, enter into my joy. Come rejoice in my Son that I love with me. Come praise Christ. Come love Christ. Come cherish and adore and love Christ. Come...Enter my joy."

So that is what it means to me to have a God that I call Abba. When I call the Almighty Father, I look to him as the giver of a great gift to his children. He gives the gift of his son and he, by grace, lets us worship the son that he loves.

No comments:

Post a Comment